NETworX, a program of Nurture, Education, and Transformation within a network that is Christian in origin, is aimed at improving the lives of those living in poverty. Within a small-group setting, individuals and/or families have the opportunity to experience greater well-being through weekly shared meals and relationship-building, along with goal-setting and mutual accountability. Participants, called Champions, commit for 18 months to partner with Allies (a member of the community passionate about walking alongside those who seek a better life for themselves) to study critical life and job skills that will provide them with the resources to meet particular goals – perhaps a new job, an improved marriage and family environment, as well as other goals the Champion may set for themselves. The NETworX experience is as unique as the individuals who participate, but with the same goal of improving well-being. NETworX is about offering a “hand-up,” not a “handout,” for those in the greatest of need, with relationships being at the heart of this initiative.
Steps to begin NETworX in your community
1) Gather a leadership group of 3-5 passionate community members interested in establishing NETworX in your community
2) Contact NETworX National or Regional staff for orientation/overview
3) Host a Community event to highlight the NETworX approach and invite interest.
4) Visit an established NETworX site with a leadership team.
5) Attend a NETworX training.
6) Schedule follow up meetings to identify resources and set a preliminary budget.
For more information about how this is working in Rutherfordton, contact:
Rev. Lucy Robbins, Caroleen UMC
- Affinity - NETworX